Thursday, June 14, 2012

Untitled | Cache Valley Utah Photographer

I've had a LOT of emotions running through me the last few days. When I say a LOT, I mean, A LOT! So, I've taken the last few days as a break. I have not edited a single picture. I have not taken a single picture. I have not blogged. Facebooked. E-mailed, or discussed anything photography related. I needed a few days to collect my thoughts, and though I'm not entirely sure they're 'collected' enough, here's a little 'untitled' post to help you understand a little bit more.

Not everyone understands exactly what a custom photography business is made up of. I'm not going to go into that right now either, because this post could would be EXTREMELY long(er) if I did. There are quite a lot of fabulous examples out there from other photographers that give a break down of the 'biz'. If you'd like, I would be happy to send you a link to one, or two. I would even be happy to give you a break down of EXACTLY what it takes for me in my business session by session, or your session alone. Just ask. I have no secrets. ;)

To be completely honest, just over a year and half ago, when I decided to take photography and venture into my own business, I don't think I truly understood either. I set my price point VERY 'reasonably' low and I gave as MUCH as I possibly could. By doing this, I burned myself. Burned myself badly. Not just financially, but emotionally, physically, and photographically. By last fall, I was ready to flat out quit.

Photography has been a passion and a hobby of mine for as long as I can remember. I was the little girl with no less than 20 rolls of film from one weekend trip to get developed. I saw everything, through a lens. When I hit this 'wall' last fall, I broke down. Sleepless nights, turned to over emotional, crying days.  The one thing I had loved for so long, was slowly tearing me in half. I was not being a good mother. I was not being a good wife. Friend. Daughter. If I can't be good at what I already AM, how can I be good at what I want to be, in addition to those things? I couldn't

So, I did a little soul searching. Instead of quitting, I thought I would try a little longer & I raised my prices by a measly $25 (not nearly enough to cover the financial aspect put into each session). BUT, I also limited the amount of sessions I was taking on per week. I scheduled 'hours' for me to edit so I could keep this business of mine stream-lined. BEST THING I COULD HAVE DONE FOR MYSELF.

One of the best things about the photography business is you. Yes you. The people who interact. Watch. Enjoy. & let me take their pictures. I'm a shy person and I'm also not from Utah. I didn't have friends or even acquaintances. Pathetic, I know. The last year and a half, I have met SO MANY amazing new people. I've been able to keep in contact with a good number of them, and I cherish every one of my clients who has trusted me enough to capture their weddings, families, new babies, & seniors. ALL OF IT. I feel so lucky to call these people my friends. YOU have helped me grow as a photographer, absolutely, but more importantly, as a person. 

When I was informed that my pictures had been stolen, printed, and distributed to others in very poor quality, I was heart broken. I couldn't understand WHY, or HOW someone could think that was okay. That's shoplifting. It's dishonest. & very disheartening.  

I realized it was my fault. I was not careful enough  to protect the hard work I put into my images. I was too trusting. It's unfortunate that I had to learn the hard way, but I did.

My packages and pricing have been modified.  I need to protect myself, sure. BUT going through this I realized that, even more importantly, I need to protect YOUR images from dishonest people. My FB sneak peeks will only include up to 3 images.  My blogs will not share as many photos as they have in the past. My information will be embedded into each image, so printers will know and see my contact information. If someone tries to print illegally, they will now be able to contact me directly. My watermarks will now be on each photograph, shown something similar to this.



From here on out, I will do the bare minimum on these social sites when given permission by you. I encourage you to use your password protected, private galleries to show all of your images to your family and friends.

I sincerely want to THANK, those of you who have been honest, respectful, and amazing to work with.  I will be offering my amazing returning clients a $25 print credit! 

Please, take a moment to read about my new prices and packages, effective today. Thank you again, for understanding. If you have any questions, PLEASE, don't hesitate to ask! :)

**If you have signed and returned a Session Agreement form, you may apply your payment to one of these new packages, if you chose. If not, I will honor my old packages until your session is 'closed'. **

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


The Mini Package-$75  
Rachel Eve Photography, will now offer mini sessions ALL year round. There may also be mini 'specials', or themed set ups around the holiday's. These specials will all be posted on Facebook, as well as 'The Blog' so you will be 'in the know'.

Mini Sessions include:

-20-25 minute shoot (one location only)
-Professional edits on 5 images
-Private online gallery 
-2 images (you will pick from your gallery) in a digital collection (disc) with a print release. This digital collection will also have your purchased images, sized and formatted to share with your family and friends online, if you wish.


The Basic Package-$150

The Basic Package will include:

-1 to 2 hour session. Any number of locations. Any number of outfit changes.
-Professional edits on 20 images
-Private online gallery
-5 images (you will pick from your gallery) in a digital collection (disc) with a print release. This digital collection will also have your purchased images, sized and formatted to share with your family and friends online, if you wish.

The Full Package- $250

The Full Package will include:

-1 to 2 hour session. Any number of locations. Any number of outfit changes.
-Professional edits on 20 images
-Private online gallery
-10 images (you will pick from your gallery) in a digital collection (disc) with a print release. This digital collection will also have your purchased images, sized and formatted, to share with your family and friends online, if you wish.
-5% off A La Carte Prices!



The Complete Package- $350

The Complete Package will include:

-1 to 2 hour session. Any number of locations. Any number of outfit changes.
-Professional edits on 20 images
-Private online gallery
-15 images (you will pick from your gallery) in a digital collection (disc) with a print release. This digital collection will also have your purchased images, sized and formatted, to share with your family and friends online, if you wish.
-10% off A La Carte Prices!
- 1- 8x10 professional print
- 2- 5x7 professional prints




The Ultimate Package- $450 **BEST VALUE**

The Ultimate Package will include:

-1 to 2 hour session. Any number of locations. Any number of outfit changes.
-Professional edits on 20 images
-Private online gallery
-20 images (you will pick from your gallery) in a digital collection (disc) with a print release. This digital collection will also have your purchased images, sized and formatted, to share with your family and friends online, if you wish.
-15% off A La Carte Prices!
-FREE SHIPPING on A La Carte Items!
- 1- 11x14 professional print
- 2- 8x10 professional print
- 2- 5x7 professional prints
- 1- sheet of wallets

















2 comments:

  1. You're AMAZING! You're doing great, rach! Everyone learns the hard way. But its those rough things that happen in our lives that make us stronger and better spiritual beings. You are loved and are fabulous at what you do! Keep up the fabulous work! And I wish you would've taken me up on the offers to come chill at dinner and movie more than once! lol You need to have a girls night again! I will text you about one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! You're so sweet! I'm bummed I wasn't able to go on the other girls' nights...Let me know when you go again...I could always use a good night out! :)

      Delete

About Me

I'm in this for the long haul, and I'm glad you've joined me.

-Rachel
'Hate on, & watch me fly'-J*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...