Friday, April 20, 2012

The 'Crop Factor' | Cache Valley Photographer


{Ring Ring}
Me: Olo? I mean hello?
Client: OMG. You're so weird. Any ways, I'm at ___________ printing off pictures from our session with you a few months back. I've finally got all my frames picked out, but the prints are chopping off Bob's head in one, and in the large group, there's 2 people missing!
Me: Are you trying to print 8 x 10?
Client: Yes
Me: At Walmart?  (ANY other 'convenient lab' is the SAME deal)..
Client: Yes
Me: {having small heart attack}. When pictures are taken, SOOC (Straight Out Of Camera) they are always in a ratio 2:3 (4x6, 8x12 crops, etc). So, cropping an 8 x 10 images is going to crop off a lot more than a 5 x 7. Get it?
Client: Uhhhh No.
Me: hmmmmm...

Well, well, well, let me SHOW you what I mean!  :)



There are many reasons I discourage printing at labs such as Walmart, Costco, Walgreens, Sam's Club, Snapfish, etc. BUT I have 2 in particular that I would hope, pray, and beg you not to.  If you've purchased a print release from Rachel Eve Photography for your images, you will be allowed to print literally anywhere. When you do, please keep this 'crop factor' in mind. Color Correction is the other reason I would hope, pray, and beg you not to use these labs..I'll have a blog post on that one here soon. Two of the quickest ways to ruin an amazing photo. Convenient labs usually do not let you chose the crop, which is why 'Bob' is missing or Sally's head is only partially there vs. the image on your digital collection. These labs will not care if your family portrait is ruined. You may pay less, but, you get what you pay for.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I'm in this for the long haul, and I'm glad you've joined me.

-Rachel
'Hate on, & watch me fly'-J*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...